Premiere Pro CS4 Sync Lock

The new sync lock feature in Premiere Pro CS4 is a very useful tool that will maintain the relationship between clips in multiple tracks so that when you are editing you make changes to one clip, Premiere will keep your edits in place by adjusting the other clips in the timeline.

• Jessica Hart says:

Editing with a mouse is frustrating and imprecise.
    Is it possible to use the keyboard to do what you did?

• Rob says:

Thanks for the tutorial. I was a bit disappointed when you started to ripple from the front of one of the clips but then didn’t. Was that because it doesn’t work or was it just an editorial decision?

Also, Those clips could just as easily been on a single track since they don’t overlap at all. Does the ripple edit work with overlapping clips?

Does it work if you have transitions between clips? That’s a problem I’ve run into on Final Cut Pro. I’m going to buy the Adobe Primer production bundle and am looking to get a feel for it’s operation.

• Franklin McMahon says:

Jessica,

It may look imprecise because I have such a small screen to work with while doing the screencasting. Normally I would have the screen larger but more importantly have the timeline zoomed WAY in. With this tutorial I have many clips and its zoomed out to show them all.

You can hold down option/alt while using the arrow keys, this moves the clips, however it does not ripple edit and it does not take into consideration the sync lock.

Franklin

• Franklin McMahon says:

Rob,

Ripple works the same from either side, and if sync lock is on it will do exactly as I displayed. I just decided to drag from the back to be consistent and make it visually easier to grasp..so yes..editorial decision! 🙂

As was having them on separate tracks, it was just for the demo, there is usually not a great need to separate this type of clip setup into two tracks. Yes, ripple edit works with overlapping clips, with the sync lock.

Franklin

• Jiri Fiala says:

Actually, you can temprarily change a Sleect tool into Ripple tool by holding CTRL (command on Mac). This is one of the most powerful UI niceties in Premiere and it speeds editing up in a big way.

The second thing is: earlier Premiere versions such as CS3 automatically keep sync locked, even if there is no feature of that name. You just ripple one of your tracks, and other track follow in sync. Sync lock is actually useful in you want to DISABLE this behaviour

• Franklin McMahon says:

Indeed Premiere has a ton of keyboard shortcuts worth learning

Franklin

• shab Levy says:

The new Sync Lock tool in Premiere CS4 is very exciting for me. I use premiere CS3 and have had a need for such a tool for a long time. I am interested in Stereoscopic 3D editing, which of course requires simultaneous editing of two tracks, taken with two synchronized video cameras. It is absolutely imperative that all editing is the same on both left and right tracks. Up until now, applying the same editing to two tracks required all kinds of gimicks and I can see how the new Sync Lock tool will be invaluable for people who need to edit steresocopic 3D material from two tracks. After watching your excellent video tutorial, I am convinced of its usefulness in doing ripple editing. Now the question is: Will the Sync Lock tool allow me to perform other kinds of editing simultaneously to both tracks?

Shab

• Franklin McMahon says:

Yes, in essence any tool you use that moves the timeline, as long as you have them synced, they stay exactly in step.

Franklin

• shab Levy says:

Thanks for the comment. Actually, I was asking about any kind of editing, for example, color correction, etc. , can one do simultaneousely other editing on both tracks while they are under the Sync Lock and will such editing be applied equally to both tracks.

Shab

• Franklin McMahon says:

Shab,

Sync lock is more for editing, however check out my other tutorials here, Multiple Effects, Blends and in particular the Nest Command video, there are many ways to set up effects and use them multiple times on multiple clips.

Franklin

• Ahmed says:

Thanks for the tip above it was very useful. Quick question about sync lock.

I have video from two cameras, one on video track 1 and the other on video track 2. Its a speech at a wedding. Video track 1 is the person speaking and video track 2 is the audiance and the bride and groom. Both the clips are synced.

Is there a way to edit where I just play the video and click a button to switch between the two video tracks? so basically what I see on the source trace (by switching) is what the final sequence looks like. the parts on video track 1 and 2 that are not seen get cut?

Would love some feedback on that.

• Ahmed says:

Figured it out, its called Multi-Cam Editing…

• Megan says: