Fireworks CS4 Exporting to PDF

Keeping the client involved with the design process is very important. Jim Babbage discusses using Fireworks CS4 to export designs to interactive PDFs that can be shared with the client.

• hani says:

good

• roberto casti says:

Thank you, very useful tutorial, much better and clear than the Adobe.

• Jim Babbage says:

Thank you both! 🙂

• Jeff L. says:

Thank you very much! not only i have learned about how to export file into PDF doc, i’ve also learned some other cool tricks!

• Tom says:

Fantastic tutorial, Jim.

I have a question for you, and apologize in advance if it’s a bit noobish.

If you were building a site which would have a top navigation menu with links hidden in drop-down panels, how would you go about demoing that for a client?

I guess I’m really asking several questions here:

1) Could you build such a menu in Fireworks at all?
    2) If not, would you have to do it in Dreamweaver?
    3) If so, what kind of prototype would permit the client to see it? Can it be demoed in an acrobat file? HTML+images? CSS+images? What if the menu isn’t CSS-only, but uses some javascript?

Sorry if these are dumb or inappropriate questions…thanks again for providing these resources.

• Jim Babbage says:

@Tom: Thanks very much, Tom. Not sure if you’ve found your answers yet, but here are my suggestions:

1)You can’t do truly interactive drop down menus in an interactive PDF. You could create a separate page which has the expanded menu displayed. Not ideal, but this is really only for mock up purposes anyway.
    2 & 3)While you can create pop up menus in Fireworks, they’re a little buggy, so I’d recommend doing this kind of thing using Dreamweaver. If I do build them in FW, I export as HTML and Images for the prototype. Note: I only do so for prototyping purposes, never for final production work.

They are not dumb questions. 🙂

• Gahh says:

That’d be great, but I don’t get a pdf option when I save as.

• Jim Babbage says:

@Gahh: You get that option when you choose File > Export. No where in the video does it say to choose File > Save As to create the PDF.

HTH

• sophie says:

hi Jim,

thanks for posting the tutorial. I’ve been trying to do an interactive pdf in fireworks as well. However, in my export pdf, it seems that my hotspot (clickable already) will always has a black outline. Looking though google and adobe help. I don’t know how to turn it off.

If i convert to html files. that outline will not show up.

I was wondering if you know how to solve this problem

• David Lee says:

Have you noticed that you lose clickable hotspot when exporting in PDF if you design the hotspot in a symbol?

• Wow, thank you so much. I wasn’t sure if exporting to PDF was very possible with adobe, I watch this video and realise how much I still have to learn, I didn’t know about pages. I also save multiple versions of the same file. You have saved my hours of future work. Thank you.