Using the Next Style Paragraph Feature in InDesign

Tip of the Day writer Jeff Witchel shares some of his favorite InDesign tips about formatting with paragraph styles palette and the next style feature.

• Dawna Pearce says:

This tip was the bomb!
    I was wondering if there is a way to get the tips of the day in writing to add to my notebook? As a student, it is great reference material when I forget…which happens with minimal sleep and major info input at one time.
    Thank you again!

• lynn says:

Cool tip!

• John says:

I see what you’ve done what if you have multiple paragraphs, and don’t want the second paragraph to revert back to the red headline, but keeping the same Garamond style is there a solution to this?

• Jeff Witchel says:

Hi John,

You could have three Styles, two of which have exactly the same formatting but with different names.

Start with “Title Style” with a Next Style of “Copy 1.”

“Copy 1” has a Next Style of “Copy 2.”

“Copy 2” (with the same formatting as Copy 1) has a Next Style of “Title Style.”

This will create a pattern of three Styles which will loop continuously. Both Copy Styles are the same formatting.

Hope this answers your question.

Jeff

• veronica richard says:

I neep an example of a Exemplification paragraph.

• Lewis says:

Hi Jeff, great tutorial.

Do you or anyone else know if there is a way to use Quick Apply to, well quickly apply a paragraph style but also use the ‘then Next Style’ command?

I can’t find a way to do this with any combination of modifier keys. This is a shame as it seems you would have to choose between using Quick Apply without having the apply next function or no longer use Quick Apply so that you can use the function from the Paragraph Styles palette.

Any suggestions?

• Jeff Witchel says:

Hi Lewis,

I have not been able to find a way to apply Next Style using Quick Apply. If anyone else finds it, I love to see it.

Best,

Jeff

• Danny says:

Hi Jeff super great tutorial did think ll never get there on my own
    one thing is sort of hard to understand, when I restart inDesign all Paragraph styles are gone did try all to save them but nothing 🙁
    how do I save them?

10x
    Best Danny

• clare hart says:

Ouch.
    everybody’s so jazzed by this and I can’t get it to work. I repeated the steps to set it up 3 times, but what happened repeatedly was that my title paragraph switched back to “basic paragraph.” The body paragraph I designed worked fine. Any A to my Q Jeff? Or anybody else please. ‘ere’s ‘oping you check this often: my trial InDesign is only good for another week (can’t afford it till I have my student ID). tyvm, clare h.

• Oksana says:

Hello!

And how can I apply the next style in grep/change if I have plenty of paragraphes and don’t want to make one by one?

• Yousif says:

how can i now which copy using which style when i have plenty of paragraph style sheet

• Tara says:

For us Quark loyalists still struggling with the switch, I thank you.

• mohsen says:

thank you so much for the great tips…. i am new to InDesign…..HOW can i get ALL the previous tips & videos? Thans again Best Luck to You
    Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

• Abigail says:

Just oohed and ahhed over this and delightedly formated an entire calendar of events page. Is it terribly geeky that this makes my day?

• Janak Rajani says:

Awesome tip – thank you! A brilliant time-saver for sure.

• maureen says:

Great presentation. Would like to see more like this. Thanks!

• Jeff Witchel says:

Hi Maureen,

Lots more like this video here on Layers, but also on my website